Fri, Sep 29|
Link Light Rail Operations and Maintenance Facility-Central Tour
King County Metro Rail Division operates Sound Trasit's Link Light Rail. Ever wondered how Link Light Rail staff ensures trains are operating safe and efficiently? Book a tour of the OMF Central Facility and see what it takes to run and maintain the Light Rail service.
Time & Location
Sep 29, 10:00 AM – 1:00 PM PDT
Seattle, 3407 Airport Way S, Seattle, WA 98134, USA
About the Event
Welcome to the Sound Transit's Link Light Rail OMF-C Tour!
Know Before You Go
- On the tour, you may walk up and down at least one flight of stairs and walk approximately 2 miles.
- Early arrival is strongly recommended. Plan to arrive 15 minutes prior to your tour.
- Carpooling and transit are always suggested. There’s a big ramp that leads to the second floor on the east side of the building and the tour guide will meet you at the bottom.
- Please wear high-visibility safety vests. If you have your own, you are more than welcome to bring them. If you do not, please let us know the approximate size and quantity you will need so we can have them available to loan you on the day of your tour.
- All guests must wear flat, closed-toed, and closed-heeled shoes (no sandals, clogs, or high heels). We recommend wearing comfortable shoes or sneakers. Loose-fitting clothing (scarves, or ties) is not recommended. Headscarves worn for religious reasons must be tucked in securely.
- Upon your arrival, your tour leader will ask for a government-issued photo ID. Please ensure that guest information submitted during sign-up matches the guest ID.
- Guests must sign up for the tour prior to arrival. Walk-ins will not be admitted into the tour.
- Children must be six years of age or older to attend the tour. Visitors may not carry young children on the tour. Guests under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
- Pets are not authorized on the tour. Service animals are permitted in all public areas and on the tour.
OMF-C is a working facility; staff and contractors perform their duties to ensure safe and reliable train operations. You are expected to remain with your group and the tour guide at all times. Please note, tours may be postponed or canceled due to staff availability, adverse weather, emergency situations and etc. We will make every effort to communicate ahead if this is the case.
Step aboard for an exciting and informative adventure as we take you behind the scenes of our bustling light rail yard. This exclusive tour offers a unique opportunity to explore the inner workings of a modern light rail system and discover the dedicated professionals who keep it running smoothly.
You will witness the sleek and modern light rail vehicles up close. Learn about the cutting-edge technology that powers these environmentally-friendly modes of transport and the design features that prioritize passenger comfort and safety. Next, we'll delve into the maintenance areas, where you'll witness the behind-the-scenes magic of keeping the light rail fleet in top condition. Step inside the maintenance workshops, where skilled technicians work diligently to ensure that every train is operating at peak performance. Get a close-up view of the intricate systems that power these vehicles, from the electrical components to the mechanical parts. You'll have the opportunity to see how routine inspections and repairs are conducted. Witness the attention to detail as technicians inspect the wheels, brakes, and other critical components. Gain an understanding of the rigorous maintenance protocols that ensure the safety and reliability of the light rail system.